If you want to do it just for pleasure do not smoke more than once a week and for a maximum of 1 hour, don't smoke it alone, have friends share it with you. Another hint, don't smoke at home or enclosed placed like a garage. Especially if chirldren live at the house. The smoke can be absorbed by your drywall or wood if the house is not well ventilated.
Why I say hookah / arguily? I should also say nargile. It is known under many different names all over the world. From hubbly-bubbly to water pipe to smoke pipe to hookah to nargile to shisha to arguily (that's our lebanese way).
Effect of weather: Smoking is only pleasant when the weather is pleasant. We all enjoy it in the mountain where the weather is warm and not too hot. In tropical cities like San Diego and Vancouver, restaurants serve arguily throughout the year. While it is only served during the summer in the North East part of USA and Canada like Ottawa and Boston.
When you smoke an arguily, you have time to think and reflect. It teaches you patience and tolerance. It gives you an appreciation of a good company and good focus. Arguily smokers have a much more balanced approach to life than cigarette smokers do. The smoke is much cooler than cigarette smoke, and lightly intoxicating.
Practice good hygiene: Clean the arguily with soap after every use. Clean every piece of it. Take it apart and clean piece by piece.
- Vase: Use a brush to clean the interior from any nicotine buildup, soak it and rince well, make sure it dries before you add water again for next use. Any little bit of soap left in the vase can hurt you and cause you diziness.
- Metal/Wood Shaft: Use a long thin brush made especially for this. Soak the brush and do several in and out brushing then rinse well.
- Bowl: Experianced people don't like to clean the clay bowl, only the ceramic and steel bowl. Clay bowl can suck water and eventually breaks. But I would clean it and just run water over it and not soak it.
- Hose: See my other article about Hoses.
- Tray: Just wash it with soap.
- Cleaning rust or colouring: Use lemon to clean copper metal to bring the shine back. Do this once in a while to give it the good look.
These are basic guidelines to enjoy your arguily experience. As you become a regular, you will master the art of smoking arguily in and out.